Reserves draw with Queens

Glasgow City Reserves shared a point with Queens Park yesterday in a tight game at Glasgow Green.

Going into the match, City boss Fiona Baker had her options severely limited due to many of her regular starters being unavailable for selection due to injuries and suspension. This meant a threadbare eleven players fit and available, with Baker keeping her fingers crossed her side got through ninety minutes with no further injuries.  

The game started well with the home team managing to retain possession for long periods of time, sticking to the game plan to be patient and avoid frustration, which has been Baker’s main criticism of her side in recent weeks.  

Although chances in the Spiders penalty box were limited for City, the home side dominated possession and therefore were bitterly disappointed to go behind, when Queens opened the scoring. A well worked individual goal from Jennifer Condie, saw the Spiders striker fire into the top corner from 18 yards leaving City keeper Steph Hardie with no chance.

From then on, the game became more open with both sides enjoying their own good spells of play in the match.

Half time 0-1.

The second half started much the same as the opening period had ended, with the two teams both having strong periods of possession, without really carving out any clear cut chances.

This was soon to change however, when City levelled.

Full Back Ces Jones whipped in a good left footed cross and City striker Lyndsey Anderson rose highest to power her header home from eight yards out.

With the match now on a knife edge, both teams pushed hard for the winner and it was the visitors who went ahead for the second time in the match, when a City defensive error gifted Queens Park a goal to put them 2-1 ahead.

As the clock ticked away, City continued to push hard for the crucial equaliser and they eventually got their reward with Queens Park also scoring an own goal to make the match level.

Full back Jones played the ball wide down the left side to team mate Laura Crossan and the City striker drove to the by line before firing in a teasing ball which the unlucky Queens defender could only divert into the back of her own net from 4 yards out.

In the end it was an excellent match and a point well deserved by both sides, however, it could all have been very different for City as they had to play the final 30 minutes with ten players, due to Mel Shreenan being dismissed for an off the ball incident.

Final score 2-2

City Reserves Boss, Fiona Baker commented on the match. She said, “I felt we played well today considering the lack of team selection and also because some of the girls that were playing were not match fit. Only having a bare 11 because of injuries and suspensions is always going to be a test, but players on the park never let me down.

“The sending off in the 2nd half strangely enough changed the game for us and we started to dominate play and to be honest looked like a team that had 11 players on the park and not 10. Overall, thinking back to the chances we had after the sending off, we really should have taken all 3 points from the game, but credit to Queens Park today, it was a decent game of football from both sides."