Glasgow City remain 9 points clear

Glasgow City remain 9 points clear at the top of the SWPL thanks to a 14-1 victory over Aberdeen away from home.

Jane Ross netted a hat-trick in the first half, before being replaced by Emma Mitchell at the break, who went on to net four in her 45 minutes on the pitch. Ashley McDonald got her first ever hat-trick for the club and a brace from Jo Love and strikes from Ciara Barnes and Christie Murray completed the scoring for the reigning Champions.

City began the game with 6 changes from the side who defeated Hibs the previous Sunday and got off to a blistering start when Jane Ross fired the visitors in front after only 5 minutes after a neat give and go at the edge of the box.  Ciara Barnes doubled the advantage on 12 minutes when she was first to react from a shot from Christie Murray which the keeper could only parry.

Jane Ross netted again midway through the first period, finding the back of the net from the edge of the box and Ashley McDonald made it 4-0 as she got on the end of a Leanne Ross shot which had come back off the bar.

Jane Ross got her third rounding the goalkeeper for a composed finish and Christie Murray made it 6-0 at the break.

Half time 0-6

Claire Martin scored for the Dons with a good finish after the restart, but City soon added another two as McDonald fired home a Danica Dalziel cross and substitute Jo Love passed the ball high into the net from 8 yards.

Less than a minute later Emma Mitchell made her introduction to the game at the break felt as she scored her first of the afternoon and on 60 minutes Love scored what will be a contender for goal of the season as she fired home with the outside of her boot from 20 yards out.

Mitchell got her second on 73 minutes and Lee Alexander kept City’s goal advantage intact with an excellent save soon after.

In the final 10 minutes a Mitchell double and a third for Ashley McDonald after Mitchell had hit the bar, made it 14-1 to City at the final whistle.

Commenting on the win, City Head Coach Eddie Wolecki Black said, “We obviously had to make the long trek up to Aberdeen, for the second time in 3 weeks which wasn’t ideal, but this time it showed you that with a bit of preparation, the difference it can make. We managed to make a number of changes, which was pleasing as we have another game on Thursday. We started at a really good tempo and we were in control right from the start. We played with good intensity and passed the ball well and the players took their goals excellently. We were delighted to go in 6-0 at the break and we knew we didn’t need to chase the game in the second half, but the players were determined to keep the standards high, which they did. The only disappointing factor was that Aberdeen scored with one of only two chances they had in the match. Overall it was good. We could rest a number of legs and it was a great performance. Every game that passes we are three points closer to retaining the title, so hopefully we can keep going.”

City’s next match is against Celtic this Thursday at Glasgow Green. Kick off 7.30pm.