Glasgow City lift the Scottish Cup to complete the treble

IGlasgow City completed a historic domestic treble after lifting the Scottish Cup with a 1-0 win over Forfar Farmington at Airdrie’s Excelsior Stadium.

City last won the treble in 2009 and have now become the only side ever to complete the magnificent feat twice after Danica Dalziel put the Cup holders into a first half lead which in the end proved decisive enough to lift the trophy.

Living up to their tag as strong favourites after 4 defeats of Forfar already this season, City showed their intent after only five minutes on the clock when striker Jane Ross broke through into the box, only to see her well hit shot expertly saved by Catherine Fitzsimmons in the Forfar goal.

That save was to prove the first of many as Forfar’s American born number one went on to produce a string of magnificent saves to not only keep her side in the game, but also to deservedly win her the Player of the Match Award.

Great play from Leanne Ross, who produced a magnificent Captain’s performance on the day, sent Jane Ross free down the right. The striker beat the full back, before cutting the ball back to the penalty spot to meet the run of Leanne Ross, but her strike just edged past the post, in what would have been a fantastic opener for the Cup holders.

Further chances came and went for City as Danica Dalziel met a Emma Mitchell cross, but her effort went narrowly wide for City once more.

Forfar’s first chance came after 14 minutes when a misplaced pass from City’s keeper Claire Johnstone put her under pressure, but she retrieved the situation expertly and ended the danger.

Another great ball from Leanne Ross put Emma Mitchell free down the right and her pinpoint cross to Jane Ross was met beautifully by the striker, but her effort came down off the underside of the bar, with the referee ruling the ball did not cross the line.

Fitzsimmons came to Forfar’s rescue once more saving a good Mitchell shot, but could do nothing to prevent City taking the lead when a Nicky Docherty cross was bulleted home by the head of Danica Dalziel.

Forfar had their first real effort on 43 minutes when Rachel Small hit a long range effort, but Claire Johnstone took the shot comfortably.

Emma Mitchell tried to double her side’s advantage with a half volley inside the box, but once more Fitzsimmons proved equal to the task.

Half time 1-0.

Soon after the break Fitzimmons produced the save of the match tipping a powerful Jane Ross effort over the bar. Mitchell shot just wide and then had another effort saved by the Forfar number one.

Substitute Ruesha Littlejohn shot inches past the post on 65 minutes and Jane Ross fired a good opportunity wide with 15 minutes to go.

Sue Lappin came on for Emma Mitchell and almost scored a fantastic second for City when she met a City corner first time, but her volley just crept over the bar to leave the scoreline 1-0.

Commenting on the win and the treble a proud City Head Coach Eddie Wolecki Black said, “I am delighted we have managed to achieve the treble and to win every domestic game this season, means this squad will be remembered as the 100% team.

“As long as the game stayed at 1- 0 there was always the possibility that an error would allow Forfar back into the match. Credit to our Forfar, they came with a game plan which was to flood the midfield and it was always a gamble to play with a back three against us. I think towards the end of the match, we looked a tired team, and the efforts of a long hard season were beginning to tell. In saying that we controlled the match and created numerous chances, which if it wasn’t for some expert goalkeeping, on another day, we could have finished with a far more comfortable scoreline.

“I would like to congratulate all the staff and players on a magnificent achievement, they fully deserve to go now and enjoy a well earned break.”

Pictured: Top - Danica Dalziel scores the winning goal of the game. Bottom - Captain Rachel Corsie and Vice Captain Leanne Ross lift the Henson Scottish Cup. Pictures courtesy of Graeme Berry. A full picture report will follow on our facebook page @Glasgowcity.Fc shortly