Glasgow City into Premier League Cup Final

Glasgow City progressed to the final of the Scottish Women’s Premier League Cup tonight after defeating Forfar 4-0 much to the delight of Head Coach Eddie Wolecki Black.

He said, “I am obviously delighted to be in the Cup Final. I am really pleased as we were up against a very tough opponent tonight and we performed really well and always looked a threat. The second half conditions suited us better as the ball didn’t run as quite much and we created lots of chances. We had good discipline about us tonight which was also very pleasing. Credit has to go to Forfar. Although this was their first semi-final, I am sure it certainly won’t be their last. I am delighted for the girls and the club as a whole and we are really looking forward to the Final.”

City started the game on the front foot and within 2 minutes Leanne Crichton had a good shot from the edge of the box which flew just over the bar. A minute later and Jane Ross hit a left foot effort just wide of the far post as she drove across the edge of the box after receiving a throw in. Lisa Evans was next to try her luck, but Cat Fitzimmons in the Forfar nets tipped the City striker’s effort over the bar. From the resultant corner Fitsimmons saved again this time from Emma Mitchell as the American began to show the kind of form which was soon to see her keep her side in the game with a string of excellent first half saves.

Lee Alexander was also soon active in the City nets as she saved a shot from Caroline Heron as the Forfar striker raced through on goal. That was to eventually prove one of only three efforts Forfar had in the match, with City creating 34 efforts in a game they came to dominant in possession and chances over the ninety minutes.

Emma Mitchell hit the post midway through the first half, before Evans opened the scoring on 31 minutes. Receiving the ball outwide from Rachel Corsie, Evans cut inside the full back and hit a low powerful shot in the bottom corner to beat Fitzimmons.

The Forfar keeper had two other excellent saves in the closing minutes of the first half to deny Mitchell and Emma Fernon in particular as City went in at the break 1-0 ahead.

12 minutes after the restart and Leanne Ross made it 2-0 to City with a brilliant strike from outside the box into the top corner. A few moments later, Eilish McSorley was denied by a goal line clearance from the Forfar back line, but the City defender was not to be denied as 60 seconds later she fired a powerful low effort past Fitzimmons from a City corner.

Jane Ross then rounded off a great performance by Glasgow City, scoring her side’s fourth of the evening on 65 minutes after Fitzimmons could only parry an initial Evans shot.

Glasgow City will now meet Spartans in the Final at Recreation Park, Alloa on Wednesday 30th May.