Glasgow City defeat Spartans with strong second half showing

It was a game of two halves in Edinburgh as a much improved Glasgow City second half performance saw them defeat Spartans 3-1.
City edged the first half on chances, but it was nowhere near a fluid showing from the Champions and they trailed 1-0 at half time after Kirsty McLaughlin put the hosts ahead right on the referees half time whistle. However, it was a different story in the second 45 minutes, as City comfortably controlled the game and scored three times through Lisa Robertson, Ruesha Littlejohn and Suzanne Malone, much to the delight of City Head Coach Eddie Wolecki Black.

He said, “I don’t know if it was anything to do with a one o’clock kick off but we seemed very laboured in the first half and we were very low key. I said to the team at half time that I was delighted Spartans scored as it shows them there are consequences for missing lots of chances, which we did in the opening half. However, our increased tempo in the second half and the level of performance was miles ahead of our first 45 minutes, and to be honest, we won the match in the first 15 minutes of the second period. We saw the game out comfortably, our keeper never made a save in the second half. I said to the players at the end, that at one time in the near future, someone will suffer a heavy defeat to us, when our chances are converted. I am delighted with a win against a difficult opponent.”

The first clear chance of the match fell to the visitors after good play by Suzanne Lappin resulted in the midfielder crossing to Lisa Robertson just outside the 6 yard box, however her shot went inches wide of the right hand post.

The next big moment came on 20 minutes when a mistake by the City rear guard presented the ball to Spartans Sarah Ewens allowing the forward to race through on goal for a 1 v 1 against Lee Alexander in the City nets. The City number one was up to the challenge and pulled off a great save to keep the scores level.

Five minutes later and Spartans Rachel Harrison pulled off a similar stop denying City striker Suzanne Malone as she raced towards goal.

Just before the half time whistle City almost got their noses in front when Suzanne Lappin rose highest to meet a City corner, but her header landed on top of the roof of the net.

City were to rue that missed chance as Spartans broke up the field and midfielder Kirsty McLaughlin fired high above Lee Alexander and into the back of the net, seconds before half time.

H/T Spartans 1 – 0 Glasgow City

Shortly after the break Lisa Robertson met a Suzanne Malone cross but her header was saved by Harrison.

Robertson was to go one better on 50 minutes as she got her side level with her first ever goal for the club firing home from close range at the back post following a Ruesha Littlejohn cross.

On 55 minutes City took the lead as Malone played in Ruesha Littlejohn and the City striker finished well firing low past Harrison into the bottom corner.

Sue Lappin almost increased the lead when she cracked an effort off the underside of the bar. Malone tried to follow up, but headed over.

Lappin was within inches of scoring once more, but just failed to connect with a great Nicky Docherty ball fired across the 6 yard box.

Malone perhaps should have increased the lead with five minutes remaining when through against Harrison once more, but the keeper pulled off another great save to keep her side in the game with five minutes of normal time remaining.

In stoppage time, Malone did get the goal she was after firing powerfully into the back of the net after Julie Melrose has just failed to connect with a great Leanne Ross cross.

Pictured: Top - Sue Lappin heads on to the roof of the net. Middle - Harrison denies Suzanne Malone. Bottom - Lisa Robertson holds off the Spartans challenge.