Glasgow City beat Inverness to stay top of the SWPL

Glasgow City kept their place at the top of the SWPL with a thumping 11-0 win over Inverness at Petershill Park.

With a 3-0 lead at half time, City went on to have an excellent second half performance in particular much to the delight of Assistant First Team Coach Donald Jennow.

He said, “It is always difficult for us coming in after a midweek  game in terms of fatigue and with it being a change to our normal preparation for weekend games, there is always concern for the coaching staff in terms of our performance. However, the girls put on a very professional display today, particular in the second half and they showed the ruthlessness we asked from them at half time. Once again we showed the depth of the squad, being able to make a number or changes to the midweek team and it will be that depth of squad that we will need to compete on all fronts this season.”

Jo Love got the Champions off to a great start as she put the home side ahead after only 4 minutes. Ciara Barnes found the run of Love and the City and Scotland midfielder raced through on goal hitting a powerful low drive into the corner beyond Kim Jappy in the Inverness goals.

Ten minutes played and it was 2-0 to City. Lisa Evans was brought down in the box, with team mate Love winning the ball back before playing it to Evans who was now back up on her feet and the City striker rifled a low shot into the far corner.

Soon after and City confirmed their dominance with a third goal and in usual fashion it was an Emma Mitchell belter as she hit a powerful left foot shot high into the back of the net beyond the despairing dive of Jappy.

City had the ball in the back of the net a further two times but the referee blew for offside to deny City a comfortable lead at half time.

Half time 3-0.

Right from the whistle City were on the attack again as Nicky Docherty fired an effort off the underside of the cross bar.  A minute later Jappy made a good save from Evans but the Inverness keeper could do nothing to prevent Ciara Barnes from scoring with a left foot shot after a City corner.

The home side had another goal disallowed for offside as Julie Melrose had the ball in the back of the net, but the City striker did get her goal as she shot high into the roof of Jappy’s goal on 55 minutes.
Lisa Evans made it 6-0 to City, getting her second of the match as she skipped past two defenders before slotting home.

Substitute Leanne Ross scored number seven with a well taken drive from the edge of the box. Ciara Barnes got her second if the game and then another substitute, Kat Linder made it 9-0 scoring from close range at the back post.

A handball in the box gave City a penalty which Leanne Ross fired into the net with ease before the City and Scotland midfielder got her hat-trick with 6 minutes to go with a shot from just inside the box. Not a bad return for the City player who was only on the field for 30 minutes as a second half replacement for Jo Love.

Final Score 11-0.


Above pics - action shots of the match
Bottom pic - Glasgow City first team with Glasgow City Powerchair FC player Thomas Pettigrew after today's match

Pictures by Glasgow City Photographer, Andy Buist. A full picture report can be found on our facebook page @Glasgowcity Fc