Denise O'Sullivan strike earns City 3 points against Celtic

Glasgow City remain top of the SWPL after nine games played after a Denise O’Sullivan first half header gave City the win.

Commenting on the game, Head Coach Eddie Wolecki Black said, “Obviously I am really happy to get the three points and I felt we looked tired today. We had three big games in a week and I think it took its toll. It was also our biggest three games as we faced second in the table Rangers last Sunday, we had the Cup Final against Hibs on Wednesday and then Celtic today, so to come out of this with six points and the League Cup trophy I am delighted. I thought we really dug in and sometimes if you are to win titles you need to do this. I am very happy and we look forward to next week’s game against Buchan.”

Glasgow City took the lead after 17 minutes through Denise O’Sullivan and it was a fine team goal. Some lovely neat interplay involving Fiona Brown, Suzanne Lappin and Denise O’Sullivan, resulted in Brown crossing to meet O’Sullivan’s run into the box and the City forward made no mistake heading past Celtic and Scotland number 1 Gemma Fay to put her side ahead. 

City went on to enjoy the vast majority of possession in the first half with Celtic reduced to a couple of long range efforts at Lee Alexander. Gemma Fay in the Celtic nets looked in commanding form as she collected a number of City corner and crosses which came her way in the box and expertly denied Jo Love with a fine fingertip save to send her international team mates left foot effort from the edge of the box over the bar. 

Some excellent play by Nicky Docherty five minutes after the break saw the full back beat two players before sending a well hit shot towards the bottom corner, which the diving Fay managed to turn around the post. 

The home side carved out their first real chance of the match on 53 minutes when Abi Harrison broke clear but City stopper Alexander saved expertly to deny the Scotland Under 19 forward. Alexander was called into action once more, this time to deny Mhairi Gilmour McGuire and her stops proved crucial in City going on to get the three points.

In added time, City forward Cheryl McCulloch had the chance to kill the game off but somehow managed to miss the target with Fay out of her goal. In the end, it didn’t matter and City’s 100% record continues.

City are next in action against Buchan at Lochinch, Pollok Park on Sunday 8th June. They then play Celti again, this time in the Scottish Cup second round at Petershill Park on Sunday 22nd June at 2pm.

Action picture from today's game by Glasgow City FC