City in semi-finals after leaving Hearts broken


Glasgow City cruised into the Unite Scottish Cup semi-finals this afternoon with a convincing 18-0 win against Hearts, which underlined the huge gulf in class between the Premier League leaders and the Scottish First division side.

While great credit should go to a Hearts team who put a huge amount of effort into the game, City, who left a number of their top players out of the starting line-up today, were in fantastic form from the first whistle.

Early goals from Ruesha Littlejohn, who tapped home after Lauren McMurchie had hit a post and Emma Mitchell with a drive from the edge of the box, set the tone for a relentless attacking display from the cup holders.

A flurry of goals were soon to follow with Rachel Corsie and Lisa Evans producing cool finishes before Emma Mitchell stepped forward and hit an unstoppable effort from the edge of the box for the second time in the game.

Leanne Ross then scored her first of the day finishing neatly from a Lisa Evans cross.

Lisa Evans was back on the score sheet again after an excellent run down the left hand side saw her cut in and fire across the goalkeeper.

Leanne Ross, who was to finish the game with seven of her team’s goals, then scored three in quick succession, before Emma Fernon scored direct from a corner just before half-time.

Half Time 11-0

Lauren McMurchie, who has been in outstanding form in recent weeks, started the second half with her first goal for the club. Having hit the woodwork on a number of occasions in the last few games, she finally found the way to goal when Sue Lappin’s step-over at the edge of the box allowed her in behind the defence to slot by the Hearts keeper.

Ruesha Littlejohn was next on target when she finished with a near post header from a well worked move down the right involving a number of players, for arguably the goal of the game.

Leanne Ross scored her 5th and 6th of the game, when she was on hand to tap home after two successive Sue Lappin shots had been saved by the keeper and after a delightfully weighted through ball from Lauren McMurchie.

Eilish McSorley scored next after a Rachel Corsie header had been blocked on the line on the seventy minute mark and two minutes later Leanne Ross got her seventh of the day after a brilliant Lisa Evans run and cut back.

Hearts agony was finally complete some ten minutes from the end when Jane Ross converted a penalty after she had been felled in the box by a Hearts defender.

Manager Peter Caulfield was delighted to be in the hat for the semi-final draw but even more delighted by the performance of his players. Speaking after the game he stated, “In any cup tie the ultimate objective is to get through to the next round and I am delighted we have been able to do that, however, as much as many people would have expected us to overcome lower division opposition we paid Hearts every respect and went about our business in the right manner.

“We played today at a very high tempo and produced a real team performance, with goals spread throughout the team. Although Leanne Ross will take the plaudits for her seven goals, and rightly so, to see the teams all time top goalscorer, Suzanne Lappin, not score at all in such a big win was unusual to say the least, but she was involved in so many of our great moves and goals today.

We look forward now to the semi-final draw this week and our away game in the League next Sunday against Rangers, at Petershill.”

Pictures by Glasgow City Club Photographer Lorraine Hll. For a full picture report on the match please visit the photos section of our website.